To be selected in year 2 of the program
The choice of the Confirmation name can be an exciting activity for both the candidate and his family. A child does not choose his baptized name—his parents do. However, with Confirmation, a candidate has a chance to choose a new name that will confirm his decision to follow Jesus more intentionally, or keep his/her baptized name, giving it more emphasis in Confirmation. The choice of the name has two paths:
- A candidate can simply confirm the name that his/her parents chose at his/her birth. This has been occurring more often in recent years.
- The advantages of this route are that the candidate can take a closer look at his/her name and why his/her parents chose it. There may be a good story behind this about his/her parent’s own faith journey.
- Going this route may also be an opportunity for the candidate to “add on” to his/her baptized name. For example, if the child was named John, he could choose to complete this name John with, John the Baptist, John Vianney, John of the Cross, John Bosco etc. The same would be true for female names.
- The disadvantages might lay in the fact that the Baptismal name does not represent a saint or Biblical name, which will lack the connection to the community of saints.
- The candidate can choose a completely different name from his/her baptized name. This can be an occasion for some research on the part of the candidate and his/her family.
- This is where the concept of the patron saint comes into play. If a family has a strong affiliation with their ethnic culture they could choose a name of a saint from that country—Maximillian Kolbe (from Poland), Anthony (Italy), Gregory (Germany), Theresa (France), Rose (Peru) etc.
- If a candidate is a male athlete he could choose the name “Sebastian” who is the patron saint of athletes. There is a patron saint with pretty much every vocation or avocation. This is where the candidate can invest in some online research about saints’ names.
What is important in this consideration is that the parents and the candidate talk about this choice with each other to come up with a thoughtful name that will be inspiring to the candidate.