Assignment for 2nd year candidates
Now that you have completed your service hours, we would like you to sum them up in a short essay. Within the essay we would like you to address the following points.
Your essay should contain these reflection points:
- First, write a description of the organization (s) where you did your service work. What is its name, a little of its history, its clientele etc.
- What was the nature of the service that you did? Were you involved with much person to person work, was it clerical work, was it work you were familiar or comfortable with?
- Of the corporal and spiritual works of mercy listed below, what did your service work most reflect of these works of mercy?
- Were there any new insights gained of yourself, others and God through the work you did? If so, what were these insights?
- Was there a particular person that you established a relationship with? Talk about that relationship and person briefly and how it impacted you.
- Has this experience altered your view of the world or what you might consider doing with your life in the future? Has your political, spiritual, philosophical perspective or value system been changed by the work you have done?
- Each of the above thinking/talking points should merit at least one paragraph or more. This also could become the good basis for part of your college essays in the next year or two. Please give it some good attention.
The Corporal Works of Mercy
Feed the hungry.
Give drink to the thirsty.
Clothe the naked.
Shelter the homeless.
Visit the sick.
Visit the imprisoned.
Bury the dead. (Today: Comfort the bereaved.)
The Spiritual Works of Mercy
Instruct the ignorant
Counsel the doubtful
Comfort the sorrowful
Bear wrongs patiently
Pray for the living and the dead