***The pandemic continues to challenge us with uncertainty. But we hope and plan on a return to normal programming in the fall. This is subject to change. Please contact Doreen Sobeski at 847.620.3072 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you/your teen are uncomfortable with in-person programming in the fall so we can make arrangements. Thank you! ***
You’re in high school now…
That means you’re probably asking bigger questions, wondering where you fit in your school, your family, your friend group, and your world. Who do you want to become? How do you get there? What is true? Does faith have any role in your life?
If these are questions you are asking, and you feel a tug to explore them in a supportive, close-knit community, you’re looking in the right place. People After the Holy Spirit (PATHS) is a two-year journey to Confirmation that can begin freshman, sophomore or junior year of high school.
Dive into the big questions.
Share your struggles and joys in a supportive community.
Search together for deeper truth.
The deeper truth we seek in PATHS is the Spirit of God itself, and if at the end of this journey you find the Spirit of God calling you to become a full member of the Church, PATHS teens will be Confirmed in their second year.
The journey consists of:
- Large Group gatherings with games, dynamic speakers, panels, and community. PATHS large groups meet at Saint Anne in the Parish Center gym. Approximately 4 large groups are held each year.
- Small groups. Participate in rich conversation, break bread together, laugh, pray, and explore your faith. This is exactly how the earliest followers of Jesus experienced their faith! Small groups meet in adult small group leader’s homes. Each group has 2 adult leaders. Approximately 8 small group sessions are held each year.
- Faith in Action (Service) Experiencing the Spirit of God in community leads to action to make our world more like God intended it. Faith is not confined to the four walls of the church! Teens are expected to serve their community and church for at least 16 hours in the course of the two years. This can be done individually or with other candidates as a group.
- Reflections. Throughout the two years, candidates write a series of reflections on key aspects of their life and faith in their PATHS journals. These journals are turned in to small group leaders to read at various points in the journey.
- Day Retreat. During the second year, teens are required to attend a day retreat to connect with peers and reflect more deeply on living a life of faith.
- Letter to the Pastor and Interviews: The final steps on the journey consist of a letter to Fr. Bernie, our Pastor, about the candidate’s desire to be Confirmed, and an interview with Saint Anne parishioners or catechists. Catechists also conduct check-in interviews at the end of the first year.
At the beginning of the first year of the program, all registered PATHS participants will be provided with information on small group leaders, meeting locations and times. They will then be given the choice of groups that they would like to join. Our expectation is that these groups carry forward to the second year of the program. In order to provide the best possible experience for the participants, individual small group size is limited.
Attendance: This journey is a choice. Participants are expected to take this commitment seriously. With relatively few meetings in the year, participants are expected to participate in ALL scheduled gatherings. Numerous absences could result in delaying Confirmation or repeating a year.
Ministry Needs- Adult Small Group Leaders: Do you have a heart for walking with youth in faith...and in life in general? Do people say you are a great listener, or a skilled storyteller? Small groups are the foundation of PATHS. The commitment of small group leaders who walk with a group of candidates for at least two years is the foundation of this journey. Adult volunteers who are working with children are required to fulfill all Protecting God’s Children components, including attending a safe environment program (VIRTUS), prior to beginning their work.
For more information Contact: Doreen Sobeski: email@example.com or 847.620.3072