Saint Anne Youth Ministry
Summer Service Mission Trips 2017
Appalachian Folk Life—West Virginia—June 25-July 1, 2017
This trip is for current sophomores through seniors.
Teen Service Week-Chicago- June 24 – July 1, 2017
This trip is for current freshman through seniors.
This summer Saint Anne youth Ministry is offering two programs for high school teens. These are faith-based opportunities which enable participants to personally invest in the values of peace and justice. They are well-organized retreat-like experiences which blend daily service activities with education, prayer, reflection, recreation and sharing.
The kinds of activities that may be part of these experiences are home improvement and repair, visiting with the sick or elderly, child day care, working with the mentally challenged, etc. These opportunities are a great chance for young people to “make a difference” and have fun at the same time!
Important consideration before registering for the Summer Service Trips:
- These trips are physically demanding and involve physical labor that may include painting, carpentry, house cleaning and repair, outdoor brush clearing, or other similar tasks to help people improve their living conditions
- Your living conditions are clean, but do not have the accommodations or and comfort you are used to
- You should be comfortable traveling and living in a close, communal manner
Teen Service Week, Chicago—June 24 – July 1, 2017
Applicants must have completed at least one year of high school.
Serve the people of Chicago in a multi-cultural community experience.
Cost – $175. Includes food, lodging and transportation to work sites for the week.
You must provide your own transportation to the home site and back (NW Chicago)
Registration and information about TSW can be found at www.teenserviceweek.blogspot.com
Appalachia Folklife, West Virginia—June 25-July 1, 2017
Applicants must have completed at least two years of high school.
Serve the people in the Southern West Virginia area of the Appalachian Mountains.
Cost – $500.00. Includes all food, lodging and transportation for the week.
Spending money and meals on the trip down and back are additional. There are
40 spots reserved for St. Anne. This includes spots for 8 adult chaperones.
Information about Appalachia Folklife can be found at www.folklifecenter.org
Registration for Teen Service week is done through the following website http://teenserviceweek.blogspot.com/
Registration for Folklife details follow:
- Fully completed applications for Folklife must be returned to the Youth Ministey office NO LATER than March 8th
- All incomplete or late applications will be placed on a waitlist.
- Space is limited so sign up now.
- Registrations will be taken in the order that they are COMPLETED with preferences given as follows:
- Current seniors who have never participated in a Saint Anne mission trip
- Current juniors who have never participated in a Saint Anne mission trip
- Current sophomores
- Current seniors / juniors who have participated in past mission trips
- Non parishioners will be accepted if room permits.
- Please note that current college aged students are not permitted on this trip.
Applications are due March 8, 2017
Summer Service Preparation meetings:
There are two required dates our summer service registrants attend before we launch into our summer service trips. These are: 1) Meet and Greet 2) Appalachian Movie night.
Meet and Greet is for both parents and student to attend in which we lay out all the aspects of the service week and leave plenty of room for questions. Appalachian Movie night features a full length film on life in the Appalachian region of our country where our service trips are located.
Both of these meetings are required of our student candidates for the service trips and are intended to inform, educate and create community. Thus when we set forth on the individual trips, students feel more comfortable knowing their co-service volunteers ahead of time. Here are the two dates:
April 25 Meet & Greet 7:00-9:00PM
June 13 Movie Night 7:00-9:00PM.